Lee's Ferry

From Hanksplace
Revision as of 04:14, 7 November 2006 by Sherrysmithonline (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

In the fall of 1874, John D. Lee, who had operated a ferry at "Lonely Dell," or Lee's Ferry, departed from the river for the purpose of securing provisions in the southern settlements in Utah. In the summer of 1877, Ephraim K. Hanks was advised by President Brigham Young to buy the ferry, but this plan fell through on the death of the President. The ferry later was bought from Emma Lee by Warren M. Johnson, as church agent, he paying 100 cows, which were contributed by the people of southern Utah and northern Arizona, they receiving tithing credits therefor.

Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol. 7, p. 470

Links


Name Directory

  • ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Personal tools