Clara Elizabeth Quilley Read
Relationship: Sister to Thisbe Quilley Read
Association: Family sailed on the ship Horizon and traveled with the Martin Handcart Company. Clara did not join her family but rather moved to Sydney, Australia to live with an uncle.
- Born: (16 Jul 1839) (, Lewisham, Kent, England)
- Died: (2 Feb 1910) (Missoula, Missoula, Montana, USA)
- Buried: (6 Feb 1910) (Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA)
- Plot: F-7-10-W-2
William Greenley Cook m. (18 Jul 1859) (St. Philips Church, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia)
- Elizabeth Georgina Cook b. (30 Nov 1863) (Bankstown, Liverpool, Cumberland, New South Wales)
- Milbrough Alicia Cook b. (29 Nov 1867) (Bald Nob, Near Glen Innis, Gough, New South Wales)
- Clara Elizabeth Quilley Read; b. (16 Jul 1839) (, Lewisham, Kent, England)
- Alicia Quilley Read; b. (20 Oct 1840) (Limehouse, Stepney, Middlesex, England)
- Samuel Milford Read; b. (13 Oct 1841) (Bethnal Green, London, Middlesex, England)
- Thisbe Quilley Read; b. (25 Apr 1845) (Stepney, London, Middlesex, England)
- Walter Pyramus Read; b. (8 Aug 1848) (Poplar, London, Middlesex, England)
BURIED: Salt Lake Cemetery, Bk Plot F Block 7 Lot 10 by members of the Read and Arnold family. Headstone was never placed at site. The Clara Snell marker was restored through the Arnold family trust. A tree near the marker had grown so large that it broke the monument. The sexton would not consent to the tree being trimmed or removed. The monument was taken to Bob Dalton Memorial in Highland Utah. The monument consists of three pieces of granite. Mr. Dalton drilled steel rods to hold the upper two granite together. Epoxy glue was also applied. The monument was moved about 2 feet from the tree with a new cement base being poured. Ella's engraving was done on the Clara Snell marker and readied for Memorial Day 1997. Engraving reads: "Ella Mariam Hanks, 2 Nov 1863-7 Feb 1964. RESEARCH: Sherry Smith.
INTERMENT: MEMBERS NAMED ON THE MARKER: Ella Mariam Hanks, daughter of Ephraim K. Hanks and Thisbe Read; Milbrough Weyher, daughter of Clara Read and William Cook; Charles Drown, shot by some unknown person, 28 Aug 1859, friend of Josiah Arnold; Samuel W. Richards (grandson of Clara Read Cook Snell & son of Elizabeth Georgina Cook); John Borlase, step-bro-in-law to Josiah Arnold, died St. Mary's hospital, born in Cornwall, England, died 5 Jan 1881, cause of death is homicide, shot by D. Jenkins; Josiah Arnold, father-in-law to Alicia Read, shot by some unknown person along with Charles Drown; Hyrum Chester Arnold, son of Josiah Arnold; John Snell, second husband to Clara Read; William Greenley Cook, first husband to Clara Read; Georgina Arnold, baby daughter to Alicia Read and O.P. Arnold (Georgina's head marker is where her parents are buried but Georgina is buried where the Snell marker is placed); RESEARCH: Sherry Smith.
Marriage certificate of William Greenley Cook & Clara Elizabeth Quilley Read - courtesy of Sherry Smith
Elizabeth Georgina Cook - daughter born 30 Nov 1863, Bankstown, Liverpool, Cumberland, New South Wales, Australia - Sherry Smith Collection
Milbrough Alicia Cook - daughter born 29 Nov 1867, Bald Nob, Near Glen Innis, Gough, New South Wales, Australia - Sherry Smith Collection
Sydney Hotel - Furnished Rooms for Light Rent, 242 West 1st South, Salt Lake City, Utah; pictured is grandson John William Richards and Clara Snell, photo taken 1909 - courtesy of Genevieve Esmay Osborne
Landscape in possession of the Hatcher Family. Besides this painting Clara painted one that hung on the wall of Alicia Arnold - the Eagle Gate that arches State Street in Salt Lake City, Utah. It depicts the rock wall that surrounds the Brigham Young school house. The painting was donated to Brigham Young University by the Arnold family because of its historical content.
John Snell, 2nd husband of Clara Read Cook
- A • B • C • D • E • F • G • H • I • J • K • L • M • N • O • P • Q • R • S • T • U • V • W • X • Y • Z